Posts Tagged ‘network’
File copy over ssh is nice but it has no resume support. That can be a pain if dealing with big files and/or poor connectivity.
As a reminder to myself here is a shell alias I use :
alias scpresume='rsync -Pazhv -e ssh'
- -P is the same as –partial –progress, this enable progress indication and partially downloaded files transfer to be resumed
- -a activate archive mode to be recursive
- -z enable compression
- -h outputs human readable units
- -v add more verbosity, especially reassuring with poor connectivity
- ‘-e ssh’ is needed to use ssh as transport, you can change this to ‘-e “ssh -p XXXX”‘ if you need to change used port or any other ssh options
I like emulation/virtualization a lot. I used to use Win4Lin and VMWare for testing new systems/applications I now have switched to VirtualBox mainly because of the automation scripting tools (VBoxManage and friends).
I work/play on a linux laptop and need to run several virtual machines interconnected in an isolated network and the VirtualBox network configuration can give headaches, it gave me some : ) During the setup I had to write things down on paper, walk around chewing my pencil, scratch my head .. so I will share theses notes here hoping it will be usefull to someone.
For a 10000 feet view of the setup explained here, a simple picture is better than many words :